Financing, permits, visa, part-time jobs and more

Studying in Southern Germany - so many questions!

In order to study in Germany, some things have to be clarified in advance: residence permit, student visa, funding, work opportunities and so on. We will inform you how you can overcome these hurdles and successfully prepare your studies in the heart of Southern Germany.

why, where and how?

Why should you study in the heart of Southern Germany as an international student? What universities are available? After chosing location and university, it’s all about finding and visa.

Why should I study in Germany?
Studying at a university in the heart of Southern Germany comes with many advantages: Modern equipment, excellent academic education, broad research opportunities. Many of the universities occupy top places in university rankings.
What does studying in Germany cost?

Although Germany has an exceptionally good and free educational system, the cost of living for international students should not be underestimated. It is advisable to apply for a scholarship before leaving your home country. This can help to manage the various expenses such as accommodation, books, study materials and health insurance, which can range between  600 € and 800 € per month.

Where to study in Southern Germany?

The Studyger cities offer a high quality of life at a modest cost. Southern Germany is also an economic engine with many successful companies. Small, medium, large, all the way to globally successful companies.

> Cities with universities on

Who doesn't need a student visa?

Who doesn’t need a German student visa.

If you are an inhabitant from the European Region and are applying to study in Germany, you do not need a German study visa. This also applies to Switzerland, Iceland and Norway.

If you’re from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea or the USA, you don’t need a German student visa either but an “Aufenthaltserlaubnis” or residence permit. 

If you’re from Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco, San Marino or Taiwan,  you only need a German study visa if you want to work before or after your degree. You will also need to apply for a residence permit within two weeks after entry.

> List of countries at the Federal Foreign office

Who needs a German student visa?

Who needs a German student visa.

If you’re out of a country not listed above, you may be in need for a student visa for Germany.

More information on how to obtain a student visa is provided by the Federal Foreign Office. You can also contact your chosen university, you will also get help there.

> FAQ on student visa for Germany and more

Part-time jobs and more

Do I need insurance during my stay in Germany, am I allowed to work, where can I find job offers? Here you find information on working and studying, bank accounts and blocked accounts as well as the needed insurance.

Working and studying?

Part-time jobs can help you pay for your expenses. But as studying already is a full-time job, working and studying on the same time is not an easy task, so you have to manage your time. Don’t overwhelm your self with many subjects and try to keep balance.

Where can I get part-time jobs?

A valuable source of information about jobs for students in Germany are the “Studentenwerk” services. These are, amongst other things, job agencies that are run by students themselves. Most of the universities have their own “Studentenwerk” websites, where job vacancies are listed. Also check the websites of you university frequently.

You would also do well to pay attention to what gets posted on notice-boards at lecture halls, libraries, or facilities like nearby supermarkets and cafes.

You can also user websites like Jobbörse from the Arbeitsagentur, Academics, Stepstone, Glassdoor or Monster to search for a job in your career or as a researcher.

Amount of legally allowed work?

Depending on your country of origin, there are upper limits on how many hours you can work. If you’re comning from EU or EEA countries you have basically unrestricted access to the job market.

The rest of the foreign students have limitations on the legally allowed amount of work in Germany. More information on that topic is provided by the “Bundesagentur für Arbeit”, the German Employment Agency.

> Admission to the German labour market by the German Employment Agency

> Leaflet “Employment of Foreign Workers in Germany” by the German Employment Agency


Bank accounts and blocked accounts?

In order to have a visa it’s required to have at least 8640 € in a blocked account you can withdraw only 720 € every month.

This blocked account is a special bank account to which the owner has no access until he arrives in Germany. Even after arrival, no more money can be withdrawn each month than the minimum amount of 720 €, unless a higher amount of money has been transferred to the account.

Remeber to have more than the minimal amount with you as you will have many things to pay in the first months.

Health insurance in Germany?

The German law requires everone in Germany to have health insurance – international students included. You won’t be able to enroll in university if you don’t have health insurance coverage.

There is the compulsory or public health insurance and the private health insurance. Depending on where you come from, you might be able use the plan you already have in your home country. Ask your university’s international office for more information.


Any questions?

If you have questions, feel free to contact StudyGer! Just send us a message!

Contacting StudyGer